Thursday, May 22, 2014

The Photography Club


Darkroom Days 1986 © Allison V. Smith

Earlier this month I had lunch with my old friend and fellow photography club officer John McNabb. We have known each other since 8th grade but it had been almost 20 years since we had seen each other. I was very excited to reconnect with my talented,old friend. We spent 3 hours catching up, talking about the arts, photography, rock&roll, being a mentor, the future and sharing ideas about how to make our city a better place. It was an energizing and inspiring lunch. I gave Johnny an old photo I had found of him. We hugged and made plans to reconnect in early June when he would return from New York. Monday morning I got a text saying Johnny McNabb died. I feel full of sadness yet I am beyond grateful that we reconnected. And I am most certain he is a shining star! Read Robert Wilonsky's great piece about Johnny.

No comments: