Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Van Cliburn auction

library.Fort Worth, Texas 2008© Allison V. Smith
RCA dog. Fort Worth, Texas 2008 © Allison V. Smith
Van Cliburn at home. Fort Worth, Texas 2008 © Allison V. Smith
sheets. Fort Worth, Texas 2008 © Allison V. Smith 
Chopin, Rachmaninoff. Fort Worth, Texas 2008 © Allison V. Smith
In 2008 I was assigned to photograph the charming night owl and pianist extraordinaire, Van Cliburn for the New York Times art section. The shoot, per his request, started after hours, 10:30pm if I remember correctly. I was sad to read that tomorrow Christie's is auctioning some of his possessions. Above are a few shots I made during our shoot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the photos of one of my favorite pianists. It is one of the most important and neglected figure of the contemporary american cultural life.
Do you know if there was any reason for auctioning known/given?