Sunday, May 13, 2012

In Their Own Hand

In Their Own Hand by Jerrie Marcus Smith. May 2012. © Allison V. Smith
In Their Own Hand by Jerrie Marcus Smith. May 2012. © Allison V. Smith
In Their Own Hand by Jerrie Marcus Smith. May 2012. © Allison V. Smith
In Their Own Hand by Jerrie Marcus Smith. May 2012. © Allison V. Smith
In Their Own Hand by Jerrie Marcus Smith. May 2012. © Allison V. Smith

Earlier this year I worked with my co-publisher and Mom (Happy Mother's Day) and my zine collaborator and designer Wendy Smith on a family recipe book project. In Their Own Hand, a collection of family recipes, photos and stories behind the chefs (my grandmother, great-grandmother, great aunts, etc) and their famous dishes or favorite drinks. I shot all the recipes and a few detail shots of the grease on the back the Cheese Cake recipe which we ended up using as the cover. Mother's Day seemed like the perfect day to share this book compiled, collected , written, and published by my magnificent mom who inspires me and supports me daily.

5 comments:

Annalilly said...

Oh, I love family recipes. We've been collecting them for couples in our family, but they've all become typed versions. I think seeing the recipes written out by their owners is even sweeter.

avs said...

I agree. I especially like them when written on personal or hotel stationery. Thanks for the comment!

brian adams said...

This is really beautiful.

jsl said...

so amazing!

avs said...

Thanks Brian & JSL!