Wednesday, May 19, 2010

RIP Roberta di Camerino

Roberta di Camerino & friends. 1955. Italy © Stanley Marcus
Guido di Camerino. 1955. Italy © Stanley Marcus


I was sad to learn of handbag designer Roberta di Camerino's death. While editing Reflection of a Man, I came across so many super stylish photos of her and her husband shot in the late 50s by my grandfather. Above are 2 of my favorites. The first, di Camerino (at right) with my aunt & grandmother on the way to Torcello, Italy. The second Guido di Camerino poses on Atilla the Hun's throne in Torcello, Italy. RIP Roberta di Camerino.

5 comments:

j.sahaya said...

as if your fam knew her.... amazing.

Dallas Arts Salon said...

I posted her NY Times obit on Monday. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/17/fashion/17camerino.html?scp=1&sq=roberta%20di%20camerino&st=cse I LOVE her vintage handbags. I remember my mom coming back from a trip to Italy with my father in the 60's & she had bought a red, white & blue velvet RDC ensemble: hat, dress, coat, bag & shoes! TDF. I wish I had grabbed it but I did not think it was cool when I was in my vintage stage in the 70's or had a photo. At one time I had about 35 vintage RDC handbags that I got for $20-50 at yard sales in the 80's but resold most of them over the years. I still have about 10 handbags, one or two wallets, a scarf and 2 velvet train cases. What a beautiful woman. Thanks for the photos. I love them both & remember the one of her husband from your grandfather's book. So "La Dolce Vita"! MHB

stoneshare said...

Sharon Stone
thanks for sharing. i've been a "roberta" collector for at least 20 years myself. the first one was my aunt bea's turquoise, with navy and emerald trim. last count i had about 30 really special ones. they're my winter thing; enid colllins for the summer; you know the drill.

Levonne said...

Thanks for sharing these photos. Please come see mine at http://levonnesprettypics.blogspot.com/ Congrats on being a blog of note last year.

Adam said...

best picture of my mom ever...