Monday, January 25, 2010

Billy Joe Shaver

Billy Joe Shaver. 2003. Waco, Texas © Allison V. Smith

Saw the movie Crazy Heart the other night and if you could see me now you'd see two thumbs up. Great acting & characters. Great story. Bad Blake reminded me of many people but especially Billy Joe Shaver whom they referenced with respect in the movie. I spent a day with Billy Joe a few years back. ( top 10 best photo assignment from my days at the Dallas Morning News.) After spending a morning of shooting and talking, he bought me a cheeseburger at the Health Camp on the circle. I'll remember that day forever.

5 comments:

I am Matthew Nager said...

I think you should do a post of your Top 10 DMN assignments.

Wolynski said...

What a great portrait of a happy man.

Jeb said...

Billy Joe is the man!

grace vroom said...

love that you loved crazy heart, too.

and health camp roolz. great shot!!

j.d.w... said...

Health Camp!