Thursday, November 06, 2008



Andy Hanson's funeral. October 2008. Sunnyvale, Texas ©Allison V. Smith

Andy Hanson told me once or twice this story that I will never forget. He was standing next to my grandfather at Love Field airport in 1963. They were waiting , with many others, for the arrival of the Kennedy's. Andy watched as my grandfather loaded his camera with film and then littered the streets with the card board box the film came in. Andy scolded him, telling him that by littering he was making all photographers look bad. A brave thing for a quiet newspaper photographer to tell a local business man. Last week at Andy's graveside funeral, I told pulitzer prize winning photographers Michael Ainsworth and Skeeter Hagler this story while I loaded a new roll of b&w into my Diana camera. I had the film trash in my hand and I asked Michael if he thought it appropriate to throw the papers into Andy's grave. With a nod from Michael, I tossed the papers beneath Andy's casket. Andy, I will never forget you!

5 comments:

Arts Magnet Style said...

chills

jackson said...

That last shot of your reflection is probably my favorite of just about anything you've ever done. Just gorgeous.

Nicole said...

Wonderful story!

Anonymous said...

Oh my. I am sorry to hear about Andy. He was my darkroom mate at the Times Herald and I wish I could have been at the funeral.

Mark Williams

Don Weir said...

chills aussi