Friday, July 11, 2008

portrait at graveyard. Rockport, Maine. 1983 © Allison Marrone

In 1983, I was walking home from tennis camp (yep) with some friends and we were stopped by a young maine photographic workshop photo student who asked if she could take our photograph in a nearby graveyard. She shot a few frames and asked for our addresses. She promised to send us all one. Almost a year later this photo showed up in the mail. It made a huge, life-long lasting impression , that this stranger would take the time to send 13 year old ME a photo. To this date, because of Allison Marrone, I try to send photos to people , especially kids, after I have photographed them. Maybe I'll inspire just one of them.......

10 comments:

Coqui said...

Alison, That's a very cool story. However, I have to ask, Why did she take that photo in the cemetery? Isn't that a bit peculiar? Very curious, Coqui

Allison V. Smith said...

We happened to be walking by the cemetery. I remember she told us to "look sad". I was all about DRAMA class at the time so I was way into it (far left)..... I think it was more artsy than peculiar. Or at least I thought so at the time....

trey kazee said...

inspiring

Channing said...

I love it. Great story.

Mary said...

You inspired me! I still have a photo you took of me in Marfa a few years back on my fridge. Keep up the good work.

Topham Beauclerk said...

I'd say you look more dubious than sad.

susie lin said...

I don't think I've thought of offering to send someone prints of a photo I've taken of them. But you are right, about inspiring others. I should think about that.

Ben said...

I always find it hard to remember who I promised a print to.

Allison V. Smith said...

It's hard! I've dedicated a book to addresses. But even that's not fail proof!

buckteethandalazyeye said...

You look so sad, poor Pierre.