Friday, December 21, 2007


Last night I was a guest on the Gordon Keith show promoting ROAM. My part was cut short which relieved me. The best moment of the night was the nervous chatter time in the green room with James McMurtry. I told him how I drove 3.5 hours out of the way to see Levelland inspired by his very visual song, Levelland. I'll never forget this image:

Mama used to roll her hair
Back before the central air
We'd sit outside and watch the stars at night
She'd tell me to make a wish
I'd wish we both could fly
Don't think she's seen the sky
Since we got the satellite dish

(the local show airs tonight at 11:35 on channel 8)
(the first 20 zines are all pre-ordered)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I spent a lot of time hanging out in Levelland for work, during the time I lived in Lubbock.

The week before I moved back to Dallas, I listened to REK's version of the song on repeat for hours on end while I was wrapping things up and putting them in boxes. Listening to it still gets me choked up, which makes me think I may be overdue for a West Tex Field Trip.

Oh, and FYI, Joe Ely's in town on the 28th!

Cari

Anonymous said...

Ely is Thursday the 27th.. House of Blues

I spent summers in Levelland during high school and actually worked there for a few months in a studio once.. Great little town folks. milton