Friday, May 11, 2007

the rejects

I accidentally met the artist Agnes Martin in 1998 during a quick trip to Santa Fe with my boyfriend. We were leaving a gallery when he spotted her... " .. there is Agnes Martin. you should see if you can photograph her." I asked her assistant if she would mind. Agnes trusted my face she said, apparently this was rare. I never showed anyone this photograph because I hated how large her hands looked. I should have used another lens or changed my angle. I was so mad at myself for screwing up a great opportunity. 9 years later this photograph holds more meaning and I am almost ready to let it and a few others out of the reject box.

3 comments:

pierpont said...

agnes martin was one of scotty's favorite artists, and I named a dog after her in his memory. I love your picture. It holds meaning to me, too.

Anonymous said...

i think it is cool that she has large hands, they seem powerful and capable. were they not really big?
jessica

Cindy said...

This photo is greatness. And as a big-handed gal myownself, I feel like I'm in good company. ;-)

xxox
Cindy
The Fine Line