Friday, March 16, 2007

Ray Nasher



I was sad to hear that Ray Nasher died today at 85.

When I worked as a staff photographer at the Dallas Morning News I had the best assignment ever-- I got to explore the Nasher Sculpture Center before it opened to the public with my Hasselblad in hand for days! I learned so much on that assignment. I met sculpture Mark di Suvero, sat inside the James Turrell piece with Mr. Nasher and Renzo Piano (uh, just the three of us), watched the beautifully orchestrated installation of many pieces in the garden (Nasher was always there highly involved). I photographed Mr. Nasher in the middle of a Richard Serra piece at the center the week before it opened. The light was perfect and he was charming. I feel honored to have known him and to have had the opportunity to photograph him.

The city of Dallas has lost another great leader.

2 comments:

Rrramone said...

Wow, was at the DMA tonight and heard this news. It is really sad. Beautiful photo by the way. I also got to meet Mr. Nasher many years ago. Wonderful man.

leila said...

thanks for this post, allie.